Relaxing in the coop

Is it strange that I find it relaxing to clean chicken poop?? Yeah, probably. But I do.

If you've seen my posts on Facebook you know that we lost 5 of our 8 chickens in a very short time span. Ugh. It's depressing. They were our pets. Of course, we knew the risk we were taking letting them free range all day. We are all learning more about nature with these additions to our farm. Most of it has been fun learning, but obviously in five occasions it was not so fun.

Back to the poop, er, coop..... In anticipation of bringing home some more chickens this weekend (ironic story for another day -- we are getting them from an old family friend I've known my entire life), we decided the coop better get a good cleaning. We want to welcome the new chickens to our farm in a hospitable manner of course.

Cleaning the coop has been my job. Well, except for the time that Rylee voluntarily cleaned it - or tried her best anyway - how can you not praise a 6 year old for voluntarily cleaning poop for thirty minutes?!?! The first time I cleaned it, I wasn't really sure what I was doing, but I just had the urge to take care of our new pets and give them a clean space to live. As I started shoveling poop infused bedding, I just felt very relaxed. I was alone with my thoughts and putting my scrawny muscles to good use. I knew I was taking care of my animals and that they would appreciate a clean space to live. It just didn't bother me at all - kind of like changing your own child's diaper, I guess.

Yesterday as I cleaned the coop - who cleans a coop in 90 degree temps?!?!?! - I again found myself very relaxed as I shoveled. The windows and doors were open in the coop, allowing the breeze to flow through (and also blowing shoveled bedding right back at me). It was a pretty big job, as we probably waited a little too long to clean the coop this time. But I didn't have a care in the world and the three hens we have left played on the other side of the coop, keeping me company while I worked and reminding me why I was cleaning coop poop...in my chore boots....which are made for -40 degree winter temps....it was 90 degrees out.....

My favorite part of coop cleaning is laying the new bedding down on the floor. It smells so good to me - just like a livestock barn at the fair. Between that smell, wearing boots and shoveling out the old bedding, I feel like a real farmer in those thirty minutes. It's a welcoming feeling. I dare say maybe even a little motivating as well...I find myself dreaming of so many other farm animals I'd like to care for too. The chickens are enough for now though. BUT, I am joining 4-H this fall as a co-leader for an established group...there may be more farm chores in my future.....

For now, I will find calm in cleaning our coop. 





Comments