My front porch

The leaves are rustling and birds are chirping. Several yards away, I hear sticks breaking under the feet of the woodland creatures. The sky to the west is a hue of purple and gold as the sun is setting behind the land. Our farm cat's soft fur gently rests against my toes.

"Life is better on the porch" -unknown, but I couldn't agree more.

I've been spending a lot of time on my front porch. Generally, I spend about 30 minutes in the morning drinking my coffee and reading my book. Then in the evening, after kids are tucked in and hundreds of hugs and kisses have been given to their little faces, I slip back out to the porch with my book and a mason jar of water. Watching the sun set from this spot is an extra perk.

When we were looking for our current house (actually we were planning to build again), one of my "must haves" was a large, covered front porch. I don't know what it is about porches, but I've always been so drawn to them. A beautiful covered front porch is the very first thing I notice about many homes. I love to walk through neighborhoods and gawk at the porches. I've even been known to drive around the block to get a second look at a beautiful porch I passed by.

I didn't grow up spending time on a porch, so there isn't any sentimental reason for my porch obsession. I think I'm just drawn to the way a porch invites us to relax. It says, "Come, join me. Take a load off and relax your body and your mind. Slow your life down for a few minutes."

I also love the way front porches invite us to be outside. I enjoy being outside, but my to-do list usually consists of things to do IN the house. My front porch rocking chairs sure know how to detour me from working on that list though. I don't think it's a coincidence when I find myself sitting on the porch doing nothing, instead of working. The porch knows. It knows when I just need to sit and be mindful. And doing so outside is wonderful as it removes me from the "work" environment and puts me in a place where I'm forced to listen to the sounds and see the sights of nature -- an always calming effect.

Another thing I find myself drawn to about porches, is the way many people decorate them so cute. A well adorned porch is like an invitation to others to "be our guest". I also see it as a way dress up the house, to make it feel beautiful. My porch, by the way, is not decorated at the moment. I'm working on it though, with plans for a second sitting area, so more people can join me in this favorite spot.

Our cat loves the porch as well and I feel like she brings life to it. She never misses a chance to lay by my feet while I read or sit on the bench and watch us through the window. I always like seeing animals resting on porches when I'm out for my walks. And or course, who doesn't enjoy seeing a sweet old man sitting on the porch who waves or says "Good morning" as you walk by??

Porch sitting, for me, is one of the best parts of my day. Do you spend time on your porch? Does it bring as much joy to you as it does me?


..or the locusts...I love that sound.







Comments