Summer Starts
Whew, it's been a busy first week of summer at our house! Rylee and I finished school and work on Monday. We treated ourselves to ice cream at our local diner when we left the school.
That evening we had Wyatt's first "baseball" practice. Man, is he excited to be a baseball player!!!! James is co-coaching the team and doing a fantastic job...he's so organized!! They are both fun to watch. I think Wyatt is going to be very sad when his 4 week season is over. He has to miss one week too, as we will be on vacation.
On Tuesday, Rylee and I went over to the neighbor's house for an end of the year party. It was a gorgeous day and there were lots of kids running around!! A friend and I hiked down to the creek and walked through the water for twenty minutes before being joined by the rest of the gang. It was so quiet and peaceful when we were alone, but when all the kids got in, the creek came to life! It's so pretty down there. I wish our property had creek access!
Pedicures, the pool, another baseball practice, the ISU dairy barn open house and visiting my aunt filled up the rest of our week. I have a feeling this summer is going to fly by!! Retired people often say they are busier than when they worked full-time. I feel that way so far about my summer off -- so much to do!!
If you saw my Facebook posts, you know we had some beautiful yard decorations this week!! We found the first one Saturday night. Grandpa saw it run into the field and lie down while he was mowing. Of course I had to go find it -- how often does one get to see a fawn?!?!?! We all got a super close and personal look at it -- and then decided to pet it. I now know that was not a smart thing to do! Yikes. We thought she had been abandoned, but that night I read about how does purposely leave their fawns alone the first few days to keep them safe. Fawns don't have a scent at first and they cannot walk. The doe leaves them in a safe place where they won't be found by predators. We checked on her the following morning and she was gone, so mama must not have been too distraught by us having touched her baby.
Two days later, while heading out for a walk around the property, I walked right past this sweet little one and almost missed it. She startled me when I realized there was something sitting there. I never would have expected to have a fawn in my yard, so close to the house! I didn't bother her/him and continued on my walk. I hollered at Rylee a little while later and we went out to get another look (and take a picture of course - I got my good camera out for this one). The fawn was still there several hours later when we came home from a play date.
The next day, while watering plants I saw a shadow moving in the tall grass under our slide. I knew right away what it was and went inside to grab Rylee to go look at it with me.
I just can't believe I'd never seen a fawn up close like this before and this week I've seen one three different times!! I've said it so many times before, but country life is so fun!!
Speaking of....our chickens are still a joy to have around. They have provided more entertainment than we could have imagined. Even our cat likes to sit and watch them! I'm sure she's probably thinking we are crazy for not eating them. I remind her the chickens feed US and not her. We have found an egg in the nest almost daily. It's such a fun chore...going to find the egg.
We were surprised to learn of the chickens' sleeping habits after the first few days we had them --- we made a roosting board for them down lower, but for some reason they like to sleep up in the rafters! Silly things. Maybe they feel safer?? Rylee and I let them out in the mornings and have been just as surprised to find them still sleeping a few mornings (at 8:30!). We watched themfly fall down from the rafters. One chicken helped itself to a fly that had landed on my leg :)
![]() |
| Lost her 4th tooth on this last day of school |
That evening we had Wyatt's first "baseball" practice. Man, is he excited to be a baseball player!!!! James is co-coaching the team and doing a fantastic job...he's so organized!! They are both fun to watch. I think Wyatt is going to be very sad when his 4 week season is over. He has to miss one week too, as we will be on vacation.
On Tuesday, Rylee and I went over to the neighbor's house for an end of the year party. It was a gorgeous day and there were lots of kids running around!! A friend and I hiked down to the creek and walked through the water for twenty minutes before being joined by the rest of the gang. It was so quiet and peaceful when we were alone, but when all the kids got in, the creek came to life! It's so pretty down there. I wish our property had creek access!
Pedicures, the pool, another baseball practice, the ISU dairy barn open house and visiting my aunt filled up the rest of our week. I have a feeling this summer is going to fly by!! Retired people often say they are busier than when they worked full-time. I feel that way so far about my summer off -- so much to do!!
If you saw my Facebook posts, you know we had some beautiful yard decorations this week!! We found the first one Saturday night. Grandpa saw it run into the field and lie down while he was mowing. Of course I had to go find it -- how often does one get to see a fawn?!?!?! We all got a super close and personal look at it -- and then decided to pet it. I now know that was not a smart thing to do! Yikes. We thought she had been abandoned, but that night I read about how does purposely leave their fawns alone the first few days to keep them safe. Fawns don't have a scent at first and they cannot walk. The doe leaves them in a safe place where they won't be found by predators. We checked on her the following morning and she was gone, so mama must not have been too distraught by us having touched her baby.
Two days later, while heading out for a walk around the property, I walked right past this sweet little one and almost missed it. She startled me when I realized there was something sitting there. I never would have expected to have a fawn in my yard, so close to the house! I didn't bother her/him and continued on my walk. I hollered at Rylee a little while later and we went out to get another look (and take a picture of course - I got my good camera out for this one). The fawn was still there several hours later when we came home from a play date.
The next day, while watering plants I saw a shadow moving in the tall grass under our slide. I knew right away what it was and went inside to grab Rylee to go look at it with me.
I just can't believe I'd never seen a fawn up close like this before and this week I've seen one three different times!! I've said it so many times before, but country life is so fun!!
Speaking of....our chickens are still a joy to have around. They have provided more entertainment than we could have imagined. Even our cat likes to sit and watch them! I'm sure she's probably thinking we are crazy for not eating them. I remind her the chickens feed US and not her. We have found an egg in the nest almost daily. It's such a fun chore...going to find the egg.
We were surprised to learn of the chickens' sleeping habits after the first few days we had them --- we made a roosting board for them down lower, but for some reason they like to sleep up in the rafters! Silly things. Maybe they feel safer?? Rylee and I let them out in the mornings and have been just as surprised to find them still sleeping a few mornings (at 8:30!). We watched them
Enjoy the weekend -- stay cool in the heat!







Comments
Post a Comment