Welcome!

Hello there! I am so excited to get back to blogging!  Let us share how the Sweet Lemon Acres blog came to be.

James has always wanted to be a farmer. Traditionally, farmers in our area raise livestock and/or grow corn and soybeans. James knew this was something he would never be able to afford to start. After watching a documentary recently, he started to think about other things he could raise on our farm.

A few weekends ago, while we were enjoying a date weekend in Cedar Rapids, we discussed the possibility of raising chickens and vegetables. The weekend prior to this, we planted our first very small garden and were both so excited to grow our own food!  Our kids were equally as excited and helped get the planting started. Hopefully we will get some more sunshine to help our food grow!

As I've been wanting to get back to blogging (took a little siesta as I just had too much on my plate), I decided now would be a great time to start a new blog as we begin to try new things on our "farm".

So, of course we needed a name for our new blog and possible future farm operation. While I was making our favorite nightly drink a few days ago (warm water with honey and lemon), an idea sparked in my head. Honey. Lemon. Sweet. Lemon. Lemon. I don't know....I just like the sound of the word "lemon"....lemon.  I began to think about how this drink we enjoy frequently correlates to our life the past 6 months or so.

You see, about a year ago we started taking courses on mindfulness and yoga. We still enjoy yoga class regularly and read books about the topics whenever we can. We work together to remain mindful during our day and if our day throws lemons at us, we do our best to make those lemons sweet, rather than sour.

In addition to yoga and meditation, I have had the privilege of being surrounded by the innocence of children in my elementary school job this year. Nothing brings you to the present moment and reminds you to be grateful than being with children. Their innocence, honesty and ability to live in the moment bring true joy to my life. Even after a bad day at work, a child instantly reminds me that life is sweet, not sour.

So, we thought Sweet Lemon Acres fit perfectly for this season of our life. We hope that as we attempt to work together as a family to more fully utilize our beautiful farm ground, we will be able to do so while keeping a sense of calmness in our lives and remembering to keep our life's lemons as sweet as possible.

We hope you will enjoy following us!

Emily and James
(Kiddos too)


P.S. Bear with me as I work on the blog design...I'm still not sure what "look" I'm going for.

Comments

  1. I love the name. It' s very sweet. I will be stalking you for sure dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is me Vawn. I am not sure why it wouldn't identify me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment