Parent-Child Dates
It's always fun to do things together as a family, but we have noticed how different the dynamics are when someone is missing. Particularly when one child is gone. Our son is so much more calm when there isn't a sibling to antagonize.
We do a lot with the kids one-on-one. Usually it's Rylee and I together and James and Wyatt together. You know, girls doing girl things and boys doing boy things. Lately, Wyatt has become quite the mama's boy (okay, he's always been that way). He always wants me to lay with him at night, he makes me breakfast in the mornings before I get up, he picks me flowers and he is always hugging me. He's quite the little sweetheart. I feel pretty bad for James though, because the kids are always choosing me over him for nearly everything. Maybe it's because I'm the easy-going parent and he is more strict....who knows?? Regardless, it's always disappointing when the kids pick mommy.
On Thursday, I asked Wyatt what he would like to do this weekend and he instantly responded, "Can me and you go on a date, Mommy?" It was a heart melting request and one I definitely would not turn down.
Yesterday morning we went on our date. Wyatt has been needing a new bike helmet. I had planned to get him one for his birthday, but as that is still a month away and there are plenty of bike riding days between now and then, I decided not to wait (plus, I'm just really terrible at waiting until the kids' birthdays or Christmas to give them things). So our date started out with a trip to Target to buy a new helmet. He contemplated Paw Patrol, Cars or Spiderman for quite some time before settling on Spiderman. We were quickly disappointed when we tried it on and found that it did not fit. The size said ages 3-5 and Wyatt is just nearing 4. Apparently he has a very large melon. We settled on a green helmet for ages 5-8.
After we made our purchase we headed to a park with a paved bike trail. Now, a couple of weeks ago he rode an entire 5k on his bike with no problem. Yesterday, however, he decided he was scared to ride it. Ugh. I was hoping to get a good walk in while he rode his bike, but I saw that wish being unfilfilled. I got him talked into getting on the bike and we made it a much shorter ride than I had planned. It was still enjoyable to be spending time with him, outdoors and being active.
Afterwards, I needed to get groceries and still wanted to spoil him a little more. I asked if he would like to get a donut at the bakery of the grocery store. Of course he did! On the way into the store, the American Legion was seeking donations as I believe they usually do on Memorial weekend. We put a small amount in the jar and I taught Wyatt to say, "Thank you for your service" to the veteran in the wheelchair. It was adorable.
After the grocery store, we were on our way over to my mom's house when I realized Wyatt left his Hot Wheel car at Target. I remembered seeing it in his hand as we were walking into Target and thinking to myself, "I wish he would leave his toys in the car so we don't lose them." I shouldn't have said anything, but without thinking I asked, "Did you leave your red car at Target?" When he realized that he did, he asked if we could go back and get it. When I replied with a firm, "no", the floodgates opened and the tears came pouring out! I didn't even feel bad for him, because 1) he has a million cars and 2) this was a good lesson, as I am always telling him to leave his toys in the car or they might get lost.
We pulled up to my mom's house and as I was waiting for him to stop crying, I realized I forgot to get eggs at the grocery store. I need eggs....Target sells eggs. I gave in. After we left Grandma's house we went back to Target. I prepped him for the possibility that we might not find his car. He kept telling me, "I know it's still there, Mom." We walked inside the door and he sprinted through the store back to the bike helmet aisle. I looked down on the shelf and did not see his car. I knew it was a small chance. But he kept on going past the helmets and crouched down to look behind an end cap sign.....out came his little hand, holding the red car..... "YES!!! I told you it was still here!!!" Whew!
Not only was I impressed that he remembered exactly where he left it, I felt so good about the decision to go back and find it. Happy boy = Happy Mama!
While Wyatt and I were on our date, James took Rylee fishing. Normally they fish the pond at his work, but this time they tried out a friend's farm pond near our house. Rylee caught 22 fish!!! They both had a lot of fun.
As a storm was approaching, they had to stop fishing and come home. Once they were in the house, Rylee got creative and found a way to continue their fishing date. She filled a bowl with water, cut fish shapes out of construction paper and found 2 small sticks in the yard to serve as fishing poles. James tied twine to the end of the sticks and Rylee had him attach dandelions to the ends as bait. I just love her creativity! They caught several colorful paper fish and James made her laugh when he ate the tail off one of the soggy paper fish.....literally.
We find parent-child dates fun and necessary. Just as husband-wife dates are important, so are dates with the other individuals in the family. We all want special attention and sometimes it's hard to get that when we are all together. One-on-one dates are great energy recharges for all of us and the bonding time creates memories we will all cherish.
We do a lot with the kids one-on-one. Usually it's Rylee and I together and James and Wyatt together. You know, girls doing girl things and boys doing boy things. Lately, Wyatt has become quite the mama's boy (okay, he's always been that way). He always wants me to lay with him at night, he makes me breakfast in the mornings before I get up, he picks me flowers and he is always hugging me. He's quite the little sweetheart. I feel pretty bad for James though, because the kids are always choosing me over him for nearly everything. Maybe it's because I'm the easy-going parent and he is more strict....who knows?? Regardless, it's always disappointing when the kids pick mommy.
On Thursday, I asked Wyatt what he would like to do this weekend and he instantly responded, "Can me and you go on a date, Mommy?" It was a heart melting request and one I definitely would not turn down.
Yesterday morning we went on our date. Wyatt has been needing a new bike helmet. I had planned to get him one for his birthday, but as that is still a month away and there are plenty of bike riding days between now and then, I decided not to wait (plus, I'm just really terrible at waiting until the kids' birthdays or Christmas to give them things). So our date started out with a trip to Target to buy a new helmet. He contemplated Paw Patrol, Cars or Spiderman for quite some time before settling on Spiderman. We were quickly disappointed when we tried it on and found that it did not fit. The size said ages 3-5 and Wyatt is just nearing 4. Apparently he has a very large melon. We settled on a green helmet for ages 5-8.
After we made our purchase we headed to a park with a paved bike trail. Now, a couple of weeks ago he rode an entire 5k on his bike with no problem. Yesterday, however, he decided he was scared to ride it. Ugh. I was hoping to get a good walk in while he rode his bike, but I saw that wish being unfilfilled. I got him talked into getting on the bike and we made it a much shorter ride than I had planned. It was still enjoyable to be spending time with him, outdoors and being active.
Afterwards, I needed to get groceries and still wanted to spoil him a little more. I asked if he would like to get a donut at the bakery of the grocery store. Of course he did! On the way into the store, the American Legion was seeking donations as I believe they usually do on Memorial weekend. We put a small amount in the jar and I taught Wyatt to say, "Thank you for your service" to the veteran in the wheelchair. It was adorable.
After the grocery store, we were on our way over to my mom's house when I realized Wyatt left his Hot Wheel car at Target. I remembered seeing it in his hand as we were walking into Target and thinking to myself, "I wish he would leave his toys in the car so we don't lose them." I shouldn't have said anything, but without thinking I asked, "Did you leave your red car at Target?" When he realized that he did, he asked if we could go back and get it. When I replied with a firm, "no", the floodgates opened and the tears came pouring out! I didn't even feel bad for him, because 1) he has a million cars and 2) this was a good lesson, as I am always telling him to leave his toys in the car or they might get lost.
We pulled up to my mom's house and as I was waiting for him to stop crying, I realized I forgot to get eggs at the grocery store. I need eggs....Target sells eggs. I gave in. After we left Grandma's house we went back to Target. I prepped him for the possibility that we might not find his car. He kept telling me, "I know it's still there, Mom." We walked inside the door and he sprinted through the store back to the bike helmet aisle. I looked down on the shelf and did not see his car. I knew it was a small chance. But he kept on going past the helmets and crouched down to look behind an end cap sign.....out came his little hand, holding the red car..... "YES!!! I told you it was still here!!!" Whew!
Not only was I impressed that he remembered exactly where he left it, I felt so good about the decision to go back and find it. Happy boy = Happy Mama!
While Wyatt and I were on our date, James took Rylee fishing. Normally they fish the pond at his work, but this time they tried out a friend's farm pond near our house. Rylee caught 22 fish!!! They both had a lot of fun.
As a storm was approaching, they had to stop fishing and come home. Once they were in the house, Rylee got creative and found a way to continue their fishing date. She filled a bowl with water, cut fish shapes out of construction paper and found 2 small sticks in the yard to serve as fishing poles. James tied twine to the end of the sticks and Rylee had him attach dandelions to the ends as bait. I just love her creativity! They caught several colorful paper fish and James made her laugh when he ate the tail off one of the soggy paper fish.....literally.
We find parent-child dates fun and necessary. Just as husband-wife dates are important, so are dates with the other individuals in the family. We all want special attention and sometimes it's hard to get that when we are all together. One-on-one dates are great energy recharges for all of us and the bonding time creates memories we will all cherish.






Comments
Post a Comment