Chickens - Our first farm animal
We've discussed raising chickens on and off over the past year.
"I don't want to clean the poop" and "It's just another thing to do every day" were among the reasons the chicken conversations never went very far. Once James decided it was time to get chickens, I was in a "yes" mood....so we got right to work fixing up the small outbuilding that would otherwise need torn down. What was supposed to be a one day project, turned into a couple of weeks, but that's okay.
"If we're gonna do it, we're gonna do it right," James always says.
While we were working on the building (and when I say "we", I mean James of course), we both did some research on raising chickens and also looked on Craigslist for people selling the types of chickens we were looking for.
When the day came that we were ready to go pick them out, we jumped into the truck with a large box to haul them back in and discussed chicken names on the way. Naming the chickens has been Rylee's favorite part.
Buffy
Rori
Belle
Junie B.
Fiona
Brownie
Snowflake
Shaka
The lady farmer had about 100 chickens, half of which were already laying eggs and the other half would be in the next 1-2 months. We were interested in both. Of course we wanted to experience the fun of finding eggs right away, but we also liked the idea of having some younger chicks. I wish I would have gotten video of us trying to catch chickens in this small pen --it was comical. The whole flock kept running away from us. James would grab one by the leg or the feathers and try to keep hold while the poor bird kept trying to get away. Alas, we captured 8 birds and were satisfied with our picks. The birds rode home together in the back of the truck bed.
When we got back to our place, we let the birds out of the box inside their new home, where they explored and immediately found the food and water. Wyatt, who wanted nothing to do with them at their original farm, slowly started to warm up to them and even decided to pet a couple. Four days later, he now constantly has a chicken in his hands, carrying the poor things all over the place.
Our plan is for the birds to be free-range. Sharing a community with coyotes, fox, raccoons and other predators may make this difficult, but time will tell. For the first three days, we left the chickens indoors. The largest hen, who we call Buffy, started to make it known she'd like to go outside. Every time we opened the door to their coop, Buffy would be right there just waiting to hop over our feet and get a taste of freedom. So, on the fourth day we decided to let them out for a few hours in the evening while we were home to keep an eye on them. They all appeared to love being in the grass and never ventured too far from their coop.
Around 8pm, James went out to "put the girls to bed". Some of them were already roosting for the night, but he spent a few minutes chasing the others back in.
We have had one egg so far (only two of the hens are old enough to lay), and I was suprised to have one already. I thought maybe it would take a good week or two before the laying hens got into routine. I was like a little kid on Easter when I saw it. It was just too much fun!!! Wyatt wanted to carry it back to the house, but I wasn't going to have our very first egg dropped and broken! He wanted me to cook it right away, but for now it is still in the carton.
We let the chickens out again tonight and watched them play in the yard. I never thought I would use the word "cute" to describe a chicken, but they really were kind of cute running around. One of the older hens had something sticking out of her beak that the others really wanted....it looked like she was playing "keep away" with it as she ran as fast as she could and the others chased her.
Our main purpose for getting chickens was to have farm fresh eggs. James and I go through two cartons of eggs each week, so getting to have them made right here on our property is eggciting! However, the other smaller reason for wanting them was for the kids' entertainment and to have a farm chore responsibility.
I have to say the latter of the two is currently dominating the reason why I love the chickens right now. The kids want to check on the new farm residents before and after school. They have been great helpers with them too! They count to make sure all are still alive, they help feed and water, and Wyatt makes sure they don't forget who is boss.....him of course. I can't wait for this weekend when we get to tell them it's time to clean poop :)
So far this chicken thing is fun and easy! Hopefully I will still be able to say this in the winter time.






Comments
Post a Comment